You’d be hard pressed to find a domestic company today that will manufacture Dutch Doors. But that wasn’t always the case. The design was well used in many areas of the world for centuries and but took hold and became popular in New England America during the 17th century. The concept allowed colonial American homes to let in light and fresh air with an operable top half-door while keeping out domesticated animals. Today our designers are repurposing the old-time tradition for modern day practicality, like accepting deliveries and giving a stylish distinction to pet gates.
We’ll concede that Dutch Doors, while stunning, can be a challenge for most companies to manufacture. But with technologically savvy engineering and our skilled European craftsmen, any door or window is possible at Hawkeye Windows and Doors. It’s a distinct, yet very practical way to blend your indoor and outdoor spaces in a seamless, yet very practical fashion. Whether a perfect solution for an exterior kitchen or to help pull in a fresh breeze to an interior kitchen or to greet our close neighbours, the Dutch Door element offer aesthetic and practical design benefits that blend modern design with practical function. And secondly, they balance the design concept of the modern sliding barn door.
Double Dutch Door design for interior and exterior
Having two independent doors in a single frame while properly aligning them so they close securely and tightly can be a difficult task – especially with today’s demanding energy-efficient requirements. Both Hawkeye and our European partners approach crafting these unique double dutch doors with the same respect to detail as any other product we offer in our unique line of windows and doors. We do so because we are committed to fulfilling our customers’ vision for a special double dutch door that is so rare, yet extremely useful for today’s fast-paced, multitasking world.
Double Dutch doors are flexible and provide a rustic appearance. Exterior Dutch doors or interior double Dutch doors fulfill the purpose of bringing a focal point to your exquisite architecture. The craftsman at Hawkeye Windows and Doors will bring the 17th-century traditional element with the modernized interiors of the contemporary world.
Why choose a Double Dutch Door?
- Double Dutch doors are farm-house-inspired doors. Exterior double Dutch doors create a warm and rustic ambiance. The cozy appearance of the Dutch door is flexible. These doors can be incorporated into your kitchen, study, or wardrobe. It completes the warm and dreamy look of your house no matter if it is located in the urban or countryside.
- Double Dutch doors are designed in a way that is the perfect replacement for baby gates. They are a stylish yet worthy replacement for unpleasant baby or pet gates.
- Dutch doors are a good alternative interior door. A Dutch door has two parts. The lower panel can be closed while the upper panel can be opened. Such a door is installed in the kitchen or study rooms. The interior Dutch door prevents the kids and pets from entering areas like the study room or the kitchen. Meanwhile, the openable upper panel lets you keep an eye on the children or pets outside your working space in the house.
- Double Dutch doors are designed in a way to let you practice the practicality of the doors. You can swing open the upper panel and let the fresh breeze kick in. Nothing is more relaxing than viewing a breathtaking landscape right from the comfort of your home. The fresh air from outside and natural light brightens up the house. It does not give your house a stuffy environment but rather allows more ventilation. The door has a multifunctioning system. During harsh weather, the exterior Dutch door can be closed to prevent unwanted dust and rain to enter the house. During hot weather, the upper portion is open to let the cool breeze enter the house.
- You must have heard that first impressions have a long-lasting impact. Exterior Dutch doors add character to your personality. They give a friendly and warm ambiance to the house and provide a welcoming and cozy environment for the guests.
- The manufacturing and designing of exterior double Dutch doors allow you to interact with delivery personnel or strangers easily without pets running out of the house. It also discourages the entry of unfamiliar people and is an added layer of security.
- Double Dutch door designs come with privacy complying options. If you do not want the openness of the door but the traditional style, then you can choose a glass, window, or solid wood for the upper portion of the door.
- Interior Dutch doors prevent the spreading of strong or unpleasant smells from the kitchen or laundry room.
Configuration options we provide to make the best Dutch Door Design
- Wood: You can choose the type and color of the wood from our variety. From solid Dutch doors to wooden grills, our artisans can craft any wood design for your Dutch door.
- Hardware: The charming Dutch doors have hinges, bolts, and latches. We offer a variety of hardware options that suit your 17th-century traditional Dutch door.
- Glass: Dutch doors are manufactured and designed to provide you with the flexibility of choosing the glass according to your preference. Although homeowners prefer solid wood doors, to add a contemporary stylish touch, we can incorporate the glass into the door’s panels. Additionally, you can choose a decorative glass of alluring carvings to give a captivating look or a clear glass for a classic, and traditional blend. E-coating glass is also in trend for energy and thermal-efficient Dutch doors. Decorative glass with LED lights is a popular option for interior Dutch doors.
- Paint: The charming and welcoming Dutch doors come in various colors and finishes. You can choose a white or neutral color for the interior door or a black or grey one for the exterior door. A vivid and funky color palette is best for the kids’ room or the kitchen. Colors like cobalt blue, brick red, and navy add a sophisticated and modern touch to the house. Warm and brown colors can be incorporated to give a dreamy, traditional, aesthetic, yet modern farmhouse look to your living unit. For outdoors, white Dutch doors add a classic and simplistic touch to your architecture.
- Height: The height of Dutch doors is adjustable. You can choose the length of the two portions according to the house and wall design. Installing the lever and latch is tricky in customized doors. However, our artisans are skilled enough to do the perfect job. They can adjust the height of portions according to the size of the panel you prefer.
- Styles: Dutch doors have myriad styles and options to choose from. The various styles include decorative glass for one door and solid wood for the other. The upper portion can be solid wood, and the lower portion can be decorative double pane glass. Many people prefer solid wood portions for both doors.
- Screen: These doors allow the openness and influx of light and fresh air, but they also attract bugs and insects. If you live in such a climate, then an exterior Dutch door is not feasible. However, we can add a security screen to the open portion of the door. The security screen can prevent the bugs from entering the house.
Dutch Doors are energy efficient. The easy openness of Dutch doors allows the flow of air and ventilation across the house. It also lets natural light enter the house and prevents unwanted substances during harsh weather conditions. This helps you in reducing the bills while keeping the house traditional and modern at the same time.