A double door unit with nearly all glass is called a French door. Interior or exterior, the French doors are perfect for opening up a wall to a vast amount of light while still complementing the normal traffic flow of a home. They are also extremely functional for most homes, yet offer a heightened degree of aesthetics and style while offering a simple way to interconnect your indoor and outdoor living spaces.
Because these doors open fully and do not have a center post, they are an easy choice for areas that need to open for parties or family gatherings such as summer barbeques and other backyard parties. They greatly increase the useable floor space and create an easy access point that allows all guests easy movement back and forth from the home.
French doors, even when closed, naturally provide a great view.
However, when fully opened, they enhance the natural blending of the indoors and outdoors by reducing barriers to the natural traffic flow and help an interior space feel larger. They will also greatly complement a connected appearance to the exterior with an integrated and natural feel. And it goes without saying, a large set of French doors will also stimulate large amount of natural ventilation and lighting.
Add a French door to a balcony or even a small “Juliet Balcony” off of a master bedroom suite to enhance the view, ambiance and mood of the room. The room will instantly feel more open, bright and cheerful. The elegance will transform the room from more than just a simple rectangle area with a bed.
Standard French Doors or a pair of French Doors with sidelights is a wonderful balance of tradition style with a slightly modern touch. They also balance privacy with exterior connectivity at a fraction of the budget that larger doors demand.
French doors create more space and illuminate by spilling the natural light overall in the house. The beneficial thing about French doors is the flexibility it offers. At Hawkeye Windows and Doors, our artisans will create the perfect and well-designed doors just for you.
Configurations available for our French Doors
- Wood: Wooden frames provide strength, stability, and durability to external and interior French doors. Wooden French doors give the traditional look to the house and offer a modification. These doors are elegant, and the blended look of glass and wood fulfills the stylish and modern appeal.
- Glass: Glass French doors are called glass doors because a considerable part of the door of glass, and the other one is of either a wooden or metal frame. Glass doors are ideal for internal spaces. The glass slab illuminates and brightens up the room by letting in the natural light.
- UPVC: UPVC French door is made up of glass slabs and a UPVC frame. UPVC is less costly and lightweight. UPVC frames do not require high maintenance and are easily painted with the colors of the homeowner’s preference.
- Metal: Metal interior and exterior French doors are strong and provide enhanced security. The doors come with various metallic options. The grill or frame of the doors is made up of wrought iron, steel, or stainless steel. Metal has a high tensile strength that makes it perfect for exterior French doors.
- Aluminum: French doors made up of aluminum are resistant to corrosion, bending, and high pressure. Doors made up of glass and aluminum are perfect for a strong yet stylish and captivating door. A French door is easy to maintain and does not lose its shine or newness.
- Composite: Composite French doors are made up of a combination of two or more materials. Either two materials are mixed or coated with one another. The composition of two different materials provides a lightweight and low-maintenance interior and external French door. The material of the frame is strong, durable, and flexible.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass single or double French door is made up of highly compacted fiber and glass. This door is durable and customizable. You can paint the frame with any solid color and even add a grainy wood or brick touch to your door.
- Black and grey: Dark colors like black, grey, and navy add a sophisticated touch to the house. Black and other dark color have their charm and class. Black is a versatile color and creates a focal point for the unique interiors of the house.
- White and neutral: White and neutral shades of interior and exterior doors are known for their simplicity and minimalistic appearance. French doors with white color are a timeless classic piece that is traditional yet suits the contemporary modern world.
- Vivid: Vivid and bright colors are painted on the doors. Although it is uncommon but you can add a funky touch to the house by painting the interior doors with vivid, saturated, and funky colors.
- Wood grain: Wood grain pattern and paint on the interior and exterior doors flood the house with aesthetic and traditional visuals. There is no comparison of aesthetic visuals when it comes to wooden textured doors. The wooden grain has a cozy and warm impact on the ambiance.
Type of glass
Hawkeye windows and doors provide different types of glass.
- Clear glass: Clear glass enriches the house with 17th-century essence. French doors with a blend of clear glass rectangles intersected by wooden or metal frames provide the traditional element of the residence.
- Decorative glass: Decorative glass is popular among homeowners. Decorative glass is an art glass that comes with exquisite carvings. The art glass is frosted, wavy, checkered, tinted, or carved glass. French exterior doors with art glass give more privacy.
- Double-glazed glass: Double-glazed glass is used in doors to enhance security. A double-glazed French door is resistant to harsh weather conditions and external pressure.
- LED glass: LED glass is a new addition. LED glass has LED encapsulated between the glass or attached to the interior side of the French door. The LED illuminates the decorative glass.
- Leaded glass: Leaded glass is a special kind of glass designed to provide privacy in French doors.
- Sidelight: Sidelight French door is a modern design common among urban residential, and commercial units. Sidelights along doors are a combination of privacy and allowing the light influx.
- Plain: Plain door design in French doors is minimalistic, and is likable by homeowners. The large slab of plain glass offers a crystal clear breathtaking landscape.
Type / Model
- In and Out Swing: In and out-swing motion of French doors greatly depends upon the location of the door, whether it is an interior or exterior door. The swing is attached with a hinge. One part of the door is fixed, whereas the other is movable in the swing position.