Upgrading the interiors of a home is a difficult yet interesting task. With the new options in doors and windows, one can give a modern and sleek look to their space. Sliding glass doors are the modern choice of interior designers and architects. Sleek-looking sliding glass doors are a space-saver. These doors fulfil the aesthetic purpose simultaneously not covering space.
What are the characteristics of sliding glass doors?
Sliding glass doors are a popular choice among homeowners because of a myriad of reasons. The sliding doors allow the maximum influx of light and air, save space, are appealing, aesthetic, flexible, and are low maintenance. Sliding glass doors are popular be it for residential or commercial purposes.
- Sliding glass doors allow a surplus amount of natural light to scatter inside your living space. The influx of natural light makes your room warm, cozy and welcoming. The large panes of sliding doors provide an uninterrupted and smooth flow of light. With the sliding doors, one can enjoy the appealing views outside and reduce the artificial light. The doors will provide a charming, aesthetic, and modern look to the house.
- Sliding glass doors are a space saver. Just like a mirror, the sliding doors create an illusion of space. Sliding doors like hinged doors do not open into another area rather, they slide over one another. Sliding doors maximize the living space and make your home look larger. One can install sliding glass doors on the patio, kitchen, and rooms to make them look large and a partition between different living spaces.
- Sliding glass doors allow a copious amount of airflow. The large panes of sliding doors maximize the air circulation of the living space. Open the doors and let the fresh breeze scatter around your room. The air circulation within a room will eradicate the suffocating, cramped, and stuffy environment around you. Fresh air and the improved smell of nature proves to be energy efficient, and good for health.
- The wide size of the sliding glass doors allows an easy traffic flow within the house. One can move heavy objects inside the house without interruption of walls or hinged doors. The shifting is convenient. Sliding doors are perfect when hosting a dinner or a party. You can slide the doors of your living area and connect the patio with the living area, allowing an easy flow of guests.
What are the types of sliding glass doors?
Sliding glass doors comes in various designs and types. From pocket sliding doors, lift-slide doors, tilt-slide doors to everyday simple patio sliding doors. The doors are available in numerous eco-friendly, stylish, and energy-efficient options.
Pocket Sliding Doors:
A pocket sliding door as the name suggests is like a pocket that hides away in a cavity within the wall. The pocket glass door acts like a secondary wall. The cavity is within the wall, and the pocket door slides back and from the wall. Pocket sliding doors are installed in small spaces like a wardrobe. The pocket doors do not act as a good seal but provide a space potential. You can install the door in your room to separate the wardrobe area. It is like a hidden wall thus it appears and disappears depending upon your mood and space.
French Sliding Doors:
French doors are a must-have for a modern and sleek look of a house. French sliding doors are a popular option among homeowners. If you want to incorporate French styles in your living space but do not want traditional French doors, then a sliding French door is the perfect option.
Shoji Sliding Doors:
Shoji doors are a product of culture and tradition. These doors are of wooden panels and paper. The paper among the wooden panels of shoji doors allows the influx of light and air. This influx gives a warm and cozy environment within the room. Shoji doors originated from Japanese culture and are becoming popular because of the flowery prints and wood. Wooden frames of shoji doors are strong, but you need to be careful with the paper panels.
Bypass Sliding Doors:
Bypass sliding doors are similar to pocket, and barn doors. The difference is that the bypass door mechanism is exposed, not hidden within a wall cavity. Bypass doors are perfect when you want to go for a mechanical look. These doors are installed within small spaces to create a partition.
Bi-fold Sliding Doors:
Bi-fold sliding doors give a classy look to the house. These doors are made up of more than two glass panes and fold when you open the door. Bi-fold sliding doors are ideal for large spaces like a patio and living room. Bi-fold doors are not ideal for saving space. However, the overall classy look of the bi-fold door is appealing enough to have them installed within areas with enlarged space.
Stacker Sliding Doors:
Stacker sliding doors, as the name, suggests slide over one another. Stacker sliding doors are made of large panes that slide over each other. Stacker doors provide an uninterrupted view and an influx of natural light and air. Stacker sliding utilizes more than one pane. There are two panes, one is permanent, and the other is movable. Both the panes have their tracks. When one pane is moved over the other, it provides copious space, appealing looks, and sleek style.
Lift-sliding doors are exterior doors installed on patios to create an illusion of space. The large panes of the lift-sliding door provide a partition between the living area and the patio. This increases the space, allows traffic flow, and proves beneficial for hosting dinners on an impressive scale. The superior ease of opening is quite extraordinary when compared to the massive sizes of lift-slide doors; so easy that a child can open them.
Tilt-sliding doors are a wonder to behold. While visually very similar to standard patio doors, the tilt-slide patio door incorporates the function of a tilt-turn window to produce a product with superior sealing benefits and advanced security features. The operating sash shifts away from the weather seals and slides freely on the rails for an effortless movement operation. The tilt function creates a secure ventilation mode that can be open all night with peace of mind and self-assurance. Even house pets will remain inside and accounted for.
Patio Sliding Doors:
Patio sliding doors are the more budget-friendly option and were often chosen in past years as an economical solution to increase the visual appeal of a home. The patio sliding door opened up the view and maintained the free floor space that is always important to homeowners with a limited floor plan. They are easy to customize and perform a basic function for a reasonable amount expense. Nevertheless, if designed properly, the traditional patio door can transform your home and make a huge impact to rejuvenate the appearance of your living area with new light to the inside and views to the outside.
What are the types of glass in sliding glass doors?
Sliding glass door offers numerous styles and types to choose from. Just like different styles, sliding glass doors comes in myriad glass types.
- Textured Glass: Textured glass offers various patterns. Textured glass ensures enhanced privacy. This glass is made up of excellent quality and is thick. Textured glass has options like frosted glass, water-patterned glass, ripple, and glazed.
- Smart Glass: Smart glass is the product of technological innovation. Smart glass in a normal situation is clear glass but can be tainted with just a remote or switch. With smart glass, you can enjoy the views from clear glass, and at the same time get enhanced privacy.
- Tampered Glass: Tampered glass also a safety glass is the most widely used glass. Tampered glass is a thickened glass that can withstand weather conditions and pressure. Moreover, when the tampered glass breaks, it does not result in a chunky glass but small glass pieces that do not imply injuries or minor cuts.
- Reflective Glass: Reflective glass is an energy-efficient glass. The glass allows the maximum natural light but reflects the heat into the outside environment and helps keep the inside temperature at a moderate level.
- Clear Glass: Clear glass is the traditional glass. Clear glass allows an uninterrupted view and is easy to clean.
A sliding door allows customization. You can choose the color of the frames, type of wood, type of aluminum frame, type of door locks, the color of door locks, type of glass, thickness of glass and frames, design of the overall doors, and glazing of panes.
A sill ramp under sliding doors promises a smooth transition and sliding of the doors. The Sill ramp ensures the quietness and smoothness of the doors.
Ball bearing rollers:
Ball bearing rollers is a popular feature of sliding doors. Heavy-duty ball bearings allow a smooth transition similar to a sill ramp.
Shoji sliding doors use paper and wood. The topmost concern is the delicate nature of paper. However, rice fiber paper can be used to ensure the durability of shoji doors.