Protecting your home and your loved ones from harsh weather conditions is necessary. Hurricane shutters are most common in areas that have susceptible weather conditions. Hurricane shutters provide enhanced security, storm protection, and guarding windows against debris. They are permanent or temporary.
What are the benefits of hurricane shutters?
Hurricane shutters have numerous advantages. Installing hurricane shutters is a beneficial investment because it is your responsibility to protect your house and family from harsh weather conditions. These shutters, not only provide weather protection but offers enhanced security.
- Hurricane shutters reduce the risk of injuries. Hurricane shutters installed on windows prevent the breakage of glass windows. Sudden weather conditions or storms might bring flying debris, and objects that can break the glass. Broken glass chunks might result in injury or minor cuts on a person.
- Hurricane shutters protect the glass. Installing expensive windows, and them breaking up due to weather conditions is a headache that you might not welcome. Hurricane shutters are an investment that will protect your property from any future damage. It stops the flying debris, loose objects, or harmful items from entering your home during storms. Furthermore, it protects the windows from hail, wind or heavy rain.
- Hurricane shutters provide enhanced security. Certain types of hurricane shutters come with locks. These locks prevent intruders from breaking into the house while you are away. Metallic hurricane shutters are strong enough to prevent intruders from entering the house.
- Hurricane shutters increase the sale value of the building. Hurricane shutters are an added security layer and storm protector. It increases the value and lets your house stand out. Most buyers avoid investing in incomplete buildings. A complete building with protective aspects will land you a potential buyer.
- Hurricane shutters provide appealing visuals. The right hurricane shutters will give a modern and unique look. While choosing the shutters, be careful with the type and style that suit your house.
- Hurricane shutters protect from excessive UV rays influx. Depending upon the temporary and permanent panel, it will prevent the sunlight influx in your home. If you are living in areas with scorching sunlight, then a hurricane shutter is the best investment. Shutters will eliminate the direct flow of sunrays into your house. One can lower it down, according to the light they want in the house.
- Hurricane shutters are budget-friendly. Once installed, the hurricane shutters are removed depending on the need.
What are the types of hurricane shutters?
Hurricane shutters come with numerous options depending upon the weather condition, style, and level of protection homeowners want.
Metal Hurricane Shutters:
Metal hurricane shutters, often referred to as the rolladen, are the cornerstone for adequate hurricane protection. Rolladen shutters are a permanently installed product that offers a very high level of safety and security. Yet, they are very intuitive in the ease in which they operate. These hurricane shutters can be closed with a detachable hand crank, or, when paired with a motor, allow for effortless closure. It can also be programmed to close during a predetermined wind speed, thereby protecting your property when you may be away.
Metal rolladen shutters are often times the most aesthetic property protection shield available and with proper color coordination, can enhance the beauty of your home. These hurricane shutters are also the optimum product to interface with your house because, as a permanently installed product, proper flashing, sealing and weatherizing can be fully planned for.
Metal Hurricane Storm Panels:
Metal hurricane storm panels are the strongest hurricane protection devices. Metal hurricane storm panels are of corrugated aluminum to add extra protection and stability. The height of metal hurricane storm panels is varied. These are heavy-duty panels that need more than one person for installation. It is strong because of the material and permanent installation. They can be used for an extended period of 6-8 months depending upon the weather conditions.
Metal hurricane storm panels are installed outside the windows as an extra shield. The strong and corrugated structure of metal hurricane storm panels deflects the debris and flying objects to prevent any property damage. Heavy rain, storm, and hail play a part in damaging the glass windows, but metallic storm panels can avoid this damage.
Once installed on the track, homeowners can remove the hurricane storm panels. Metal hurricane storm panels are recommended for homes or buildings that are in areas prone to tornados or storms. During storms, one can attach the panel to the track. After harsh weather conditions, one can remove the shutters and store them in the garage or attic.
Polycarbonate Hurricane Shutters:
Polycarbonate or Lexan hurricane shutters are an alternative to metal hurricane storm panels. They are as strong as metallic ones and are durable under harsh weather conditions. Unlike metallic shutters that are opaque, Lexan Hurricane shutters are made of clear plastic. Clear plastic does not interrupt the views outside. They allow the natural flow of light and are installed in specific parts of the house. The sunlight can flow without the harmful rays entering the house. Polycarbonate hurricane shutters are installed in front of windows and are much lighter than metallic hurricane shutters. Due to their lightweight Lexan hurricane shutters are easy to carry and install on the track in an emergency.
The clear plastic of Lexan hurricane shutters creates a modern look of the house as the plastic comes in various patterns and designs. Polycarbonate hurricane shutters are much stronger than fiber and plywood shutters. They have resistance equivalent to metallic hurricane shutters. They can last for 5-8 months depending upon the weather conditions.
Plywood Hurricane Panel:
Corrugated Plywood hurricane shutters protect from debris when installed with correct steps. Plywood is not as strong as metallic or plastic hurricane shutters. It is an effective alternative to strong hurricane shutters. One needs to follow the correct way of installing plywood hurricane shutters to maximize usage. It is recommended to install the plywood inside the window frame and not on the outside.
Plywood is not strong enough to resist heavy winds but once installed inside the frame, it will protect the window. The plywood should be at least 5/8 inches thick. The thickness should range in-between 5/8 inches to 3/4 inches. Avoid nailing the plywood within the concrete walls and nail them inside the window.
Fabric Hurricane Protection:
Hurricane fabric is newly introduced in the market. The Kevlar® fabric shutters are an alternative to the plastic and metallic ones. Although fabric shutters are strong enough to withstand rain and storm, they are not durable for a long time if exposed to recurrent harsh weather conditions. The fabric is light and its installation is easy. However, under extreme conditions, it can tear apart from the centre.
How to install a hurricane panel?
Installing a hurricane panel requires professional help. If professional help is not available, then you can carefully install the shutters by following the steps.
- Hold the header track horizontal to the window and drive one screw on the center.
- Apply a layer of adhesive or silicon caulk to seal the influx of rain.
- On the top track, slip a panel and mark the bottom line. Make sure to mark two inches below the marked bottom line.
- On the marked line, install the bottom track and secure it with screws.
- Both the tracks are installed and you can slip the panel on the header track.
Hawkeye Windows and Doors offers several solutions to protect your home:
- Hurricane or Impact Rated Doors and Windows: What appears to be normal windows are actually robust safety mechanisms with specialized glass interfaced within the structure of home.
- Rolling Shutters (Rolladens): Beauty and quality approved for hurricanes, storm protection and security.
- Metal Hurricane Storm Panels: The most utilitarian option for hurricane protection that is all practical and properly beneficial.
- Security Screens; it is a stainless steel screen that is permanently fixed into an aluminum frame so it can only be used for select windows. While various brands of stainless steel security screen are hinged and keyed for opening, they cannot be used for access doors or windows that need to also be used for emergency egress.