What Are Smart Locks and How Are They Beneficial?
The world is fast moving and smart technologies are emerging day by day to provide convenience. To enhance the security of properties, now companies have introduced smart door locks. Traditionally, these locks were used only in smart homes but now they are affordable for normal houses as well. There are industry-smart door locks that have a different purpose. Mainly industrial smart door locks are used for the management, communication, and security of data centers. Enhanced security and convenience played a significant part in the making of smart door locks.
A smart lock is an electronic lock that performs the function of locking and unlocking via a mobile app or software. A smart lock has an automatic electronic induction system that makes it different from other electronic or mechanical locks. With the help of an induction system, the door can be easily opened with fingerprints, voice recognition, mobile, and cards. The system can sense when the door is closing and automatically closes and locks the door. The technology of smart locks has been improving to eradicate any kind of vulnerability to hacking. The developers recommend smart door locks because it provides ease, save you from the hustle of finding keys and monitor your security system from miles away.
What are the benefits of smart locks?
Smart locks are a new advancement that can add ease to your life, but it comes with many more benefits:
- Track history: Smart door locks allow the owner to track the history of people going in and out. If a smart lock is linked with an app, it will provide data of people who entered the property using an e-card or fingerprint.
- Connectivity: Smart locks provide you with many options to open the doors. One can link the door with other home devices. This connectivity will help your house with security and monitoring.
- Automates home devices: Smart locks integrate the other smart home devices. The smart lock compatible with WIFI will enable you to control the thermostat temperature and the lights of your house. The Bluetooth-compatible locks will allow you to automate the smart devices within 30 ft distance. Other internet-compatible locks will allow you to monitor the system from far away.
- Convenience: Smart locks grant ease. Imagine you forgot your keys when you were leaving the office, mechanical lock and key system will cause problems if you are in a hustle. In comparison, a smart lock will give you the liberty of entering the home with just a passcode or a tap on your mobile.
- Enhanced security: Smart locks provide enhanced safety. These locks alert you whenever someone enters the house. The personalized password or code system makes it easy for your friends, family, guests, and deliveryman to come when you are not home. The personalized passcode makes it easy for children to enter a home without looking for keys. You do not have to hide a spare key outside your home or carry a bunch of keys everywhere. The lock automatically senses the closing of a door, and it locks the door, so you do not have to get anxious that you might have left the door open. The battery of smart locks drains after a year, so the system alerts you to change the battery.
- Accessible via smartphones: Previously, smart locks were accessible only through programmed passwords or fingerprints. Technology has evolved, and smart locks are accessible via smartphone. Many secured apps connect with smart locks. One can send personalized e-cards to friends and family as a key.
- Remote management: If you are away from your house for vacation, smart locks are the best technology for your home. Smart locks will allow us to monitor passwords from all across the globe. Only people with an e-card, personalized passwords or passcodes will be allowed to enter the house.
- Variety of designs: Smart locks come with additional security layers and various styles. Homeowners can choose a simple or complex smart lock that offers more security. There are numerous designs, one can choose the design and type of smart lock suitable for their door or house.
- Combined with traditional locks: in some cases, smart locks are combined with the mechanical lock system. Many Elder people or children are not friendly with modern technology. Smart locks allow mechanical looks as well. People not familiar with technology can use the traditional lock and key. You can combine both locks for additional security layers.
What are the types of smart locks?
The advancement in technology has introduced many types of smart door locks. One can choose the type or design according to the security level and the level of ease.
Fingerprint smart locks:
A fingerprint or a biometric smart lock scans the programmed fingerprint, and the system opens the door. A fingerprint smart lock is one of the best methods because it is effective when you cannot access mobile software. One can enter the fingerprints of their family, and it will program the fingerprints into the system.
Bluetooth smart locks:
Bluetooth locks work the same way as that WIFI compatible locks. You do not need an application to connect your phone to the lock system. Instead, you feed the Bluetooth connection into the smart lock program. Bluetooth locks can sense the Bluetooth connection within 30 ft. It does not drain the battery.
WIFI smart locks:
Smart locks that are compatible with WIFI are in trend these days. These smart locks allow the owners to access the lock with WIFI in any part of the world. WIFI locks work with the coordination of applications in smartphones. WIFI locks grant you e-access cards, and you can change the passcodes at any time.
Smart locks with keypads work on the system of passcodes or passwords. Once you enter the passcode, there is a button or touch screen to press enter. Keypad combination smart locks enable the users to set personalized passcodes for different people. There are three types of keypad locks:
- Deadbolt with a handle
- Keypad deadbolt
- Deadbolt with a knob
Garage smart locks:
Garage door locks are connected with a mobile device or a z-wave hub. The garage door will automatically open when you allow it from the mobile device. Now, you can let the deliveryman enter your house without opening the door yourself.
Key fob smart locks:
Key fob smart locks, the name depicts are smart locks with an additional key fob. Smart locks that are compatible with WIFI or Bluetooth enable a key fob as well. Just like a car, you can use the key fob to lock or unlock the door. You can use the key as well. A key fob smart lock acts like a physical backup when you forget the passcode. Additionally, key fobs speed up the process of opening the door.
If you are interested in changing your door as well, you can check our door products. Hawkeye Windows and Doors has a large collection of beautiful doors: entry doors, folding doors, patio doors, french doors, tilt turn doors, tilt slide doors, dutch doors, large doors.